Thursday, November 06, 2008

Shelley's trial

My beautiful Sheltie, Shelley, has been so sick these past two weeks. She started with just throwing up a few times, but I took her right to the vet and after a barrage of tests they found she has congestive heart failure and also elevated liver numbers. She wouldn't eat (who would!) and has been so listless (makes sense). This was her before I knew what was going on.

She is 10 years old and now taking pills to shrink her enlarged heart, pills to increase her appetite, pills to regulate (I pray) the elevated liver numbers and recently she finished the anti-nausea pills! She is a terrible pill taker. She holds them until I walk away and then she spits them out! This is what her days consisted of the first week, sleep, sleep, sleep.

It is touch and go but just last night she wolfed her after dinner bones (wouldn't eat dinner) and then a small piece of boiled chicken breast, and a Puperoni. She was on a roll. Here she is enjoying that Puperoni!


Shelley is my loyal and loving companion. I adore this dog. Who knows the outcome at this point, I just hope her days are still ahead of her for awhile to come. She loves her life here on the farm.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:05 AM

    .... glad to hear that she seems to be responding to meds & that she actually ate! she's such a sweetie & do hope you get to hang on to her (& that she's comfortable through it) for a while yet ~ m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope Shelley continues to improve and will keep her in my thoughts. If you are interested in getting information on nutritional support, I know a wonderful woman in Manchester...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope she continues to improve! Sounds like she has a lot going on, so might take a while - but the fact that she's willing to eat (at least something!) is a good sign!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, poor Shelley. Keeping my fingers crossed that she's around for awhile longer. Sounds like she's improving a bit. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our thoughts are with you and especially for Shelly (she is such a gorgeous little princess). You already know how Laurel and I feel about our furry friends.

    Ed

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:40 PM

    We are going through a similar thing with our Basenji and cancer. I really feel for you, it's awful. Best wishes for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:57 PM

    Dear Shelley, please get well, love your friend,
    Hazelnut Bessey
    Brownsville, VT

    ReplyDelete